The kids had their final visit with their biomom on Friday. All things considered, it went very well. She was a little confused, and told Carrot we already adopted her. Which just confused the poor girl further.
And, it gave me hope that she would not appeal the judge’s decision.
Yesterday, I found out she did indeed file an appeal. Intellectually, I expected her to appeal. Emotionally, I was drained. Any hope of a summer adoption, Carrot starting first grade with a new last name was crushed.
We fully expected biomom to appeal, and told Carrot we would adopt her, but it might not be until after Christmas. She said if it was sooner “that would be a bonus.”
Last night, I
put Carrot to bed and fell asleep not long after.
I am not worried that the appeal will be granted. The adoption is a matter of “when” not “if.”
If this postponement hit me this hard, I can only imagine how far away and abstract it feels for Carrot.