Monday morning: TPR trial scheduled to start.
10am: One trial is scheduled ahead of biomom’s case. No one is sure if that case will be settled out of court or not.
11:30am: Talk with social worker. Other case was resolved (those parents did a voluntary termination of parental rights.) Our social worker says, “Be prepared to testify tomorrow.” Feel like vomiting as I picture myself on the stand.
4pm: Misunderstand a message from our social worker and think we are testifying the next day.
5:30pm: Biomom has “stipulated to the conditions.” It sounds like a “no contest” plea to me. We are spared a trial, with the best possible outcome of that trial.
Next step: A “Best Interest Hearing” in December. At this point a judge will decide if it is in the children’s best interests to terminate their mom’s rights. She is expected to say that, despite “not being a fit parent” it is still in her kids best interests to return to her. We will be asked if we will adopt them, which of course we can’t wait.